Pages in Excellence

Monday, March 1, 2010

Broadening our Taste

I am now into the next week of Tony's Eating Clean 2-Week Challenge. I am learning this can be quite the adventure. Now instead of my normal 15 minutes in and out of our local grocery store, I am finding I can spend a considerable amount of time shopping. I am especially fascinated by produce department. How did I manage for all these years to not notice the assortment of hidden treasures waiting to be explored? I literally spent over 30 minutes just taking in how many varieties of certain items there were. Until today, I wasn't even sure what a shallot was. I find that amusing because I have always prided myself on being such a good cook. I actually thought a shallot was some sort of seafood. Now I know what it is and even helped the check out clerk by proudly telling her what was in my produce bag. See, I'm not the only one.

Tonight for dinner I made Bean and Kale Ragu .This is simply marvelous! Our family is giving it 5 STARS! It is definitely a surprise of spice combinations. I don't think I would have ever thought of combining ground cumin with oregano and basil. But WOW, totally perfect combination. I can also honestly say this was my first experience with kale. Cooked in this dish, it was beautiful and rich in color as it was flavor. My husband and I both will definitely be keeping this dish on the menu.

We also made Garbanzo Bean Burgers. These were very good. My 8 year old ate them without any complaints. With ketchup, of course. Shopping for the ingredients was yet again, another seek and find mission in the grocery store. This recipe called for Tahini Sauce.
Wrap Text around Image
I searched endlessly through all the spices, sauces, salad dressings never once thinking I probably could just ask a clerk. Not that I am really sure any of them would have had a clue either. Besides, this was an exploration. I am learning my grocery store. For those of you curious and that don't already know, Tahini Sauce is a sesame paste. After spending close to 45 minutes in the specialty section, I came across it in the Mediterranean food section. You will also find the cannellini beans for the first recipe there, too. But don't let them fool you. Cannellini beans are simply "white" kidney beans. Save yourself a few bucks and shop for those in the regular foods section.

We served our dinner with fresh cantaloupe and red seedless grapes. Dinner was very delicious and healthy. I'm learning that eating healthy isn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Our Dinner Plate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments you might have. I alway welcome suggestions and value your opinions.