Pages in Excellence

Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Survived a Trip to the Badlands!

 Today was a test of my willpower for sure. I had to pick up the little guy for his bi-annual cleaning at the dentist. In spite of our very best efforts, my child has yet another cavity that will have to be filled. How old does a child have to be before it is considered too old for you to brush their teeth for them? Just kidding. It seems every dentist appointment we have, there will always be a followup for the filling of a new cavity. So glad we have dental insurance.

After all the fun at the dentist my little guy insisted that he hadn't eaten all day (though his school lunch was about 30 minutes before I picked him up). I looked at my watch. I had a meeting in less than 45 minutes and I had to get him back to school. Feeling frazzled, but not wanting my child to go hungry, we made a detour to our local Burger King. Mind you I have been on my best behavior during this challenge, but walking into one of those places takes a considerable amount of willpower. As bad as I know this convenient cuisine is...my head immediately starts going places it ought not go. I start rationalizing out each item on the menu and how I could fit them into my challenge. I mean a "french fry" is a potato, isn't it? OMG! They have "apple fries." I had to dig deep and get a grip! No, no, no! Bad food...bad, bad, bad.  I looked at the clerk,  sighed and said, "I will have a side salad, no dressing with a small ice water." There it was. I did good. Of course my little guy had chicken tenders, french fries and a chocolate milk. I know, not healthy. Convincing an eight year old to order a salad and a glass of water just isn't going to happen. It's not the norm. Don't worry. Today was just a "treat" for him. Me? I remained challenge faithful! I will lead by example.

Tonight I did come up with my own creative quick dinner though! We had homemade Succotosh and gluten free pasta! Yummy, quick and simple! Three of my most favorite things. Bon Appetit!

******************************************************************
Succotosh  Made Simple

1 cup Edamame beans
1 12oz. pkg frozen corn (thawed)
1 can diced tomatoes and jalapenos (drained)
1 cup spaghetti sauce (I used tomato basil - no sugar)
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp minced galic
1 tsp basil
1 tsp sea salt

Mix all ingredients in medium sauce pan. Bring to rapid boil. Boil about 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. So yummy! You can eat it plain or serve it over your favorite gluten free pasta. One dish delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments you might have. I alway welcome suggestions and value your opinions.