Pages in Excellence

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Setting Up a New Diet Plan

Now that I have successfully completed Tony Horton's Eating Clean Challenge, you might wonder what is next on the game plan. I think now is the time for me to move forward and continue the momentum. After two weeks of a restricted vegetarian diet, I will be the first to admit a little meat on the plate was a welcomed sign. However, I don't want to discredit the value of adding in all those vegetables and fruit. I will definitely continue spending more time in the produce aisles of our local grocery store.

My next adventure into nutrition is going to include the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute has done a wonderful job of putting together a booklet, which outlines a nutritional approach to taking control of your blood pressure. Even if you don't have high blood pressure this is definitely a great way to eat healthy. The booklet offers great information, a handy printable grocery shopping guide and even a free menu planning section. You can download the booklet for FREE in pdf format, or if you would rather have a print copy - you can order it from their website and have it mailed to you for a minimal cost. The diet plan emphasizes on eating a well balanced diet consisting of: fruits, vegetables, fat-free or low fat milk products, whole grain products, lean protein and nuts. I would call that pretty much a Team Beachbody winner. Plus it focuses on lowering your sodium intake. A definite bonus for those of us that are trying to cut back and even for those looking for a good preventative measure.

This gets a "thumbs" up from me. Definitely worth looking into and at least a nice reference to have handy when trying to plan healthier meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments you might have. I alway welcome suggestions and value your opinions.