Pages in Excellence

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Glutten Free Waffles - The Healthy Alternative

Day 7 of Tony's Eating Clean Challenge has began! I have nothing but praises for Tony's simple genius - when he tells you you are going to "feel better than you ever have in your life," be certain, without any doubt, the man is not lying to you! I feel absolutely AMAZING! My sleep has improved tremendously. I have more energy and I am just an all around happier person. No aches, no sluggish mornings, just a spring in my step that I haven't seen in a very long time!

Now my husband has weathered these last 7 days with me. I have heard minimal grumblings, but he has confessed to visit the "Golden Arches" a time or two. Even my girlfriend caught him in the act. No worries, the diet is very restrictive and we are all human. In the words of Mark Briggs, "Its really about finding healthy alternatives, and working them into your daily routine. Finding things that you can live with for a lifetime, and no going to far ends of extreme that you can do on a temporary basis." I'm not sure I would recommend my husband's retreat, but I certainly understand it is about finding healthy alternatives for the foods we enjoy. I'm learning everyday just how many alternatives are available. That said, here is my solution for the waffle lover. This recipe does include eggs. I'm sure you could use an egg substitute and make it Challenge Fine, but for me, this makes about 14 small waffles - so 1/7 of an egg for two waffles I don't think was a major detour! Enjoy =)

Bradley's Gluten Free Waffles
  •  2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 3/4 cups Sugar Free Almond milk
  • 1/4 cup Canola oil
  • 1/2 cup Honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free (Wheat Free*Dairy Free) All Purpose Baking Flour
  • 1/2 quick oats
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed mill
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, oil, honey, and vanilla. Beat in gluten free flour, flax seed meal, quick oats, baking powder and salt until batter is smooth. Preheat a waffle iron and coat with cooking spray. Pour batter onto waffle iron and cook until crisp and golden brown. I usually watch for the steam test. When the steam ceases coming from the sides, they are nice and perfectly crisp!

This is our solution for a healthy breakfast. We served the waffles with Agave nectar and fresh strawberries and cantalope. There are alternatives to be found, you just have to be willing to experiment. You just might surprise yourself how much you like what you find. This will definitely be a new favorite at our home.

7 days down 7 days to GO!!! Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments you might have. I alway welcome suggestions and value your opinions.