Pages in Excellence

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tacos without Guilt

One of my favorite things to do is to take my family's favorite foods and try to create healthier versions. WE LOVE TACOS!!! Who doesn't? But all that grease doesn't make me very happy. Not to mention the FAT. So let's do the comparison. Two tacos at a nationally known fast-food Mexican restaurant will set you back 440 calories, 28 g of fat, 70 g of cholesterol, 720 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrates, 2 g of fiber, 4 g sugar and 18 g of protein.  Let's note my healthier version has almost 2/3 less fat (and by the way those are good fats), NO cholesterol, 4 times the fiber!!! The sodium is a toss up. I suppose if you use a low sodium taco seasoning or get a little creative with the spices and you could totally tweak this number, too. I just went for convenience, but it definitely could be corrected with a little experimenting. Plus I can guarantee my portions are a lot heartier than you will find wrapped in those waxed tissue papers in your little white paper bag...still not naming names here.

Clean eating doesn't have to mean giving up the foods you love. It simply means finding better alternatives to make healthier choices when it comes to your nutrition. The nice thing about my recipe is it is not only vegetarian, but gluten free as well!

As a wife and a mother, I want to know that I am giving my family the best nutrition possible. Finding creative ways to make their favorite foods healthier that taste good is a win win for everyone. They get the foods they love and I get the satisfaction of knowing what they are eating is actually good for them.  What is your family's favorite foods and how are you making them healthier? I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave your comments.

Meatless Tacos

Taco Filling:

1 (29 oz.) can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 (1.5 oz) can Black Olives, chopped
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1 tbsp Canola Oil
2 Jalapeno Peppers, chopped
2 tbsp Garlic, minced
2 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
1 pkt Taco Seasoning Mix
2/3 cup Water

In large skillet over medium heat add canola oil and stir in onion, jalapeno pepper and garlic. Cook at medium heat stirring constantly until onions are translucent. Add in black beans, black olives, water and taco seasoning. Bring to boil at high heat and boil for about 1 minute. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro. With hand masher, press bean mixture until desire consistency.

Taco Fixings:

Round Gluten Free Corn Tortillas
Tofutti Sour Supreme (imitation sour cream from tofu)
Shredded Romaine Lettuce
Chopped Tomatoes
Salsa (if desired)

Serving size: 2 Tacos
Approximately: 6 Servings

Calories:  350  Total Fat:  10 g   Cholesterol:  0 mg
Sodium:  830 mg   Potassium:  646 mg   Carbs:  52 g
Dietary Fiber: 9 g   Sugar: 1 g   Protein: 12 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments you might have. I alway welcome suggestions and value your opinions.