Pages in Excellence

Thursday, May 20, 2010

So How Long Does It Take to Lose Weight?

Isn't funny that this question is probably the most asked question of anyone looking to get in shape? We never even consider "how long" it took us to get to the incredibly unhealthy state we are in when we finally have that "wake up call." I spent years playing the yo-yo game. The days when it simply wasn't about nutrition or exercise - the days when it was all about "what can I do or take to make these 5, 10, 15, 20... pounds go away?" I have probably tried every fad diet on the market. If you were to step into my living room and glance at my bookshelves, you would find a HUGE assortment of books written claiming to be "the one true" way to lose weight and keep it off. Not that I am going to discount these diets or their promises you will lose weight, because quite honestly - I did lose weight. The problem was maintaining the weight loss.

I know there are a few, if not many, of you reading this that know exactly what I am talking about. You follow the diet to the "T" and miraculously the weight just seems to drop off of you. Then one day you reach your goal weight, you are wearing the size you wanted to wear and life is perfect. You immediately rush out and buy yourself that new wardrobe and sport that fantastic body all over town.

Now let's fast-forward this moment to two or three months later. You've resumed eating normal meals again, you've added in the protein, fat, carbs or whatever you were told to avoid to lose the weight. But something has changed...those size 6 jeans suddenly don't look as good as they once did. That muffin top is coming back and it doesn't look pretty and where the heck did that double-chin come from? OMG! Are you actually getting bigger than you were before? And what about that cellulite...was that there before? Um yeah, I've been there. Incredibly not just once or twice - that was more like the story of my life. It's a vicious cycle and one that is destine to repeat itself over and over until you decide NO MORE!

In November of 2007 I reached my all time highest weight - I toppled the scales at 188 pounds! Mind you, I am a small-framed woman at only 5 feet 4 inches tall. So any excess weight on my frame may as well be threefold. If you think the camera adds an additional 10 pounds, can you just imagine how "camera-shy" I became? If you look through our family albums during that time, I can guarantee you won't see any pictures of me. And the photos that did capture this very unflattering time in my life are the candid shots taken by friends and relatives that you "HOPE and PRAY" never get tagged on your Facebook page!

Fortunately, I caught an infomercial on television advertising Turbo Jam ® . It was right after Thanksgiving and I was feeling worse than ever. Everyone in the house had gone to bed and I was channel surfing, when this bubbly blonde was bouncing up and down on my television screen and you know what? She was having FUN! She was happy, smiling and it was exercise! The best part - Chalene Johnson said I could do it in my home. I could get the DVD, load it up in my player and just "PUSH PLAY!" How cool is that? NO special gym membership, NO fancy gym clothes, NO stares over my shoulders and NO "pity-party" from the Fit Girls Club. So I did it. I got my hot little hands on the program and my journey began - the journey that lead me to where I am today.

Now, I'm not going to lie to you. I've had my pitfalls and dabbled a little here and there. Exercise is not the total answer to solve all your problems. As a matter of fact, I am the "QUEEN of DENIAL" when it comes to that. Doing the program and not eating properly will get you results - just not the REAL results you want. It took me about a year and half to figure that one out. Then probably another half a year to realize that it wasn't going to be a "pick and choose" thing on having some good foods mixed with bad. If I really wanted it - I had to commit.

This year I started doing P90X ® . This had been my ultimate goal since my journey with Team Beachbody began. I was happy with my progress, but not getting those KILLER results I really wanted. Finally, I caught a chat with Tony Horton and his challenge to give up a few things to gain "feeling better than I ever had before." It was at that moment, "IT ALL CLICKED!" Nutrition and Exercise = A HAPPIER HEALTHIER YOU!

It was then and only then that my life has been forever changed. I finally got it, the "light-bulb" turned on! If you want the results, you have to fuel your body with the proper nutrition and exercise. It isn't one or the other. It is a package deal. And if you want to keep those results, you have to commit to making this a "lifestyle change." So when people ask me, "how long does it take to lose the weight?" My one reply is "as long as it takes you to decide to make the commitment to change your lifestyle."

DECIDE * COMMIT * SUCCEED!!! 


You don't have to be the "fat-girl" anymore and you don't have to do it alone. I am here to help you with your journey. Let's start writing your SUCCESS STORY today. Email me at equildottsin@beachbodycoach.com . If you have questions, we will find you answers!

1 comment:

  1. Fat people are seen as people from lazy people who just cannot do anything. It is therefore to change their perception obese need to change their diet plan and exercise. Thanks for sharing such a great piece of advice.

    Best Regards,
    Mantis Hugo
    Goji Berry Juice

    ReplyDelete

Please leave any comments you might have. I alway welcome suggestions and value your opinions.