Pages in Excellence

Sunday, May 23, 2010

How to Add Jogging to Your Fitness Regimen

One of my lifelong goals has always been to jog. I think since I was a little girl I have always been fascinated with how graceful most runners look. Granted running is definitely a step up from jogging, but still the idea of moving with the wind at my back, the sun on my face and the pebbles crackling beneath my feet is appealing. So this year after I completed my first round of P90X ®, I decided I was going to even turn it up more with round 2. I bought and incorporated the P90X+ ® . The same P90X ® intensity you know and love, only at a quicker pace and shorter workouts. Definitely a great way to BRING IT and bring the sweat! I can't say enough good things about this program. Still there was that desire to fulfill my lifelong goal. So I set out on a journey to add in jogging 3 miles 3 days a week. I am happy to report I DID IT! I hit my goal mark last weekend.

For some people, this might seem pretty trivial. For me - it was monumental. When I look back at where my fitness was compared to last summer, I would have been lucky to jog two or three blocks at most. Not that I didn't try. I did - over and over. At least we can say I am persistent when I really want something.

What I have learned from the experience is it is POSSIBLE to reach your fitness goals if you (1)are persistent, (2)set smaller goals to achieve the bigger ones and (3)remain patient. I started out by finding a good location where I could measure my progress. I used the track at our local middle school. Each lap measured a quarter of a mile. At first I would walk 4 laps, jog 3 laps and finally walk 5 laps - 3 miles total. As the weeks went by I started lessening the laps I walked and adding a quarter of a mile to the laps I would jog. Then as a surprise to myself, I hit the point where I just added a half a mile and finally achieved the full 3 mile jog! I can't even begin to describe the moment I knew I had finally succeeded.

When it comes to your fitness program, always remember you are in the driver's seat. You are the one that ultimately decides at what pace you will go and just how far you will travel. It's not a race, it's a lifestyle. For me, it is looking at the years I am adding to my quality of life. Yeah, that's me. I am a planner. I want to be one of those "grandmas" scooting around town in my cute little jogging pants and sun visor. I want to know long after they have retired my driver's license, I will still have a mode of transportation...even if it is my own two feet.

So where from here? I am just content right now on working on improving my time with the 3 miles. I will call it my pacifier until the real excitement starts. I am just biding my time until the real cardio rush begins. TurboFire ® is going to rock my cardio world - that's when the real adrenaline rush begins! Then watch out world because I am going to be unstoppable!!! LOVE IT!

Easy Veggies & Brown Rice

1 cup Long Grain Brown Rice
2 1/4 cups Water
1 Tomato Bouillon cube

1 tbsp Virgin Olive Oil
1 Medium White Onion chopped
1 (12 oz.) pkg Kroger Fiesta Blend Vegetables
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper to taste

In medium sauce pan bring rice, water and bouillon to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 40 minutes with lid tight (no peaking). When done, uncover and set aside 5 minutes. Then fluff with fork.

After rice has finished simmering and you have it set aside, in medium skillet add oil and chopped onion. Cook until onion is translucent. While the onion is cooking, microwave frozen vegetables in bag for 4 minutes. Pour microwaved vegetables into skillet with onion, sprinkle with garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon vegetables over prepared rice and serve. Delicious!!!

Serving size: 1
Approximately: 4 Servings

Calories:  253  Total Fat:  4.9 g   Cholesterol:  0 mg
Sodium:  439 mg   Potassium: 159 mg   Carbs:  47 g
Dietary Fiber: 8 g   Sugar: 2 g   Protein: 7 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments you might have. I alway welcome suggestions and value your opinions.