Pages in Excellence

Monday, May 10, 2010

Seeing the "WHY" and Reaching Success

 I hope everyone had a simply fabulous Mother's Day! I am so excited to say I achieved my weekly goal of jogging 2 miles. Yesterday I went to the ball fields after a fantastic Mother's Day lunch with my husband and son. It was so peaceful. Nothing but me and nature. I had the iPod all ready to go, when suddenly I realized - the battery was dead. No worries. It was too beautiful a day to let a little thing like that keep me from jogging my victory miles. So I just let the sounds of nature and the crushing pebbles beneath my feet keep me company. Before I knew it, I had reached 2.14 miles! Life is good.

It definitely made me more aware of the "WHY" in pushing forward with my fitness and nutrition goals. I really want to be someone my son can look up to. I want him to see that it is possible to enjoy a happy healthy life. I'm hoping that by putting our health and fitness as a priority, I will somehow help him to avoid all those pitfalls I suffered through. Not to mention the fact that I want to be around for him.

Today started Week 6 with the P90X +®. This morning was Upper Body Plus / Abs Core Plus. I'm so excited about my progress. I just know that Clean Eating, P90X+® and jogging are going to ROCK ME LEAN!!!

Here is a great recipe I threw together tonight to keep us moving forward! I just love exploring all the great vegetable alternatives out there! Eating Clean is not only healthy and fun - it's NUTRITIOUS! What more could a mom as for?

Chickpea and Barley Vegetable Soup

2 quarts water
1 (29 oz.) can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 (12 oz.) pkg frozen Mirepoix Cajun Blend Vegetables (Onions, Celery, Green Peppers)
1 (12 oz. )pkg frozen Mixed Vegetables
1 can Petite Tomatoes, drained
1 cup uncooked Pearl Barley

2 cubes Vegetable Bouillon
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 ½ tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Curry Powder
¼ tsp Black Pepper
1 Bayleaf, crushed

In large soup pot, combine all ingredients.  Bring to rapid boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook 60-90 minutes until barley is tender stirring occasionally. Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy.


Nutrition Facts

8 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 233.5 Total Fat 1.6g  Sodium 369.1 mg
Potassium 337.9 mg Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
Dietary Fiber 9.7 g Sugars 1.2 g Protein 8.5 g

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments you might have. I alway welcome suggestions and value your opinions.