Pages in Excellence

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bringing in the BIG GUNS to a Speedy Recovery

I am back on the workout circuit. Happy to report I've done the TurboFire ® Core 20 Class and Stretch 40 Class two days in a row and today added in the P90X ® Shoulders and Arms.I remember why I love the P90X ® so much...because it HURTS. No, because it makes me feel so empowered when I finish and know I did GOOD. There is just something so special about lifting and watching those muscles flex. Ok, I guess watching Tony is kind of fun, too.

I will probably alternate the TurboFire ® Core 20 Class/Stretch 40 Class every other day and adding in some of my favorite P90X ® workouts for the next couple of weeks. I think the stretch on the muscles is a definite bonus and building my core is key to making the most of my recovery. People are surprised how well I'm getting about. I think most were amazed to see me at work Tuesday without crutches. What can I say...LOL...it is those great fitness programs and clean eating. Honestly, I feel terrific, the knee is feeling so much better than it did before my surgery. Don't worry, I know what they did and I know what the doctor's orders are...no high impact. But just because he said no more high impact doesn't mean my workouts get to be EASY!

One of the things that is a new direct focus for me is osteoarthritis or what some people may call degenerative joint disease. It happens when the cartilage in your joints wears down overtime. In my case, it is highly likely I will develop this in my left knee because of the removal of cartilage from the break. But what is alarming is it is estimated that by the year 2020, over 40 million Americans will suffer from this very painful disease. It is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. and take a wild guess what is the cause to this increase...you got it - OBESITY! Too much stress on the joints.

We use our knees to carry us around everywhere we go. That is literally thousands of steps each day, pounding that excess weight with crushing force against joints that just aren't equipped for that kind of punishment. Think about it. For every pound we are overweight our knees bear 4 pounds of pressure. So instead of carrying around an extra 10 or 20 lbs, think of it as 40 or 80 lbs to our joints! That is just crazy. Really brings losing weight into perspective, doesn't it? So since I've been thrown head first in this journey, I think it's time to be as proactive as I can and do some preventative care. I want to make sure these joints last a long time before that knee replacement becomes necessary.

My research and doctor have recommended I take Glucosamine twice a day. I am making sure I get only the best brand because this is too important to worry about whether or not I get the best quality. I'm not taking any chances. I'm making sure I buy something that is backed by the company that makes it. I'm moving into Team Beachbody's Joint Support Formula. I've taken it before, but now it is necessity...and the sooner the better. If I want good results, I have to use a reliable source. Another recommendation was fish oil. Ok, um...eeeww gross. So I researched for an alternative and guess what...EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL! It needs to be pure, not a blend, but 2 tablespoons a day has the same effect as ibuprofen without the drug side effects. Hmmm! So guess what went in my Shakeology ® this morning. LOL...only 1 tbsp, though. I figure I get the other in my food since I use this already. Besides at 120 calories a tablespoon, even being a healthy fat...I have to be careful. And yes, you have to count it towards your allowable fat intake...not in addition, too.

The number one preventative is maintaining a healthy weight with proper nutrition and exercise. It is definitely number one in my life plan and you better believe me when I say I plan to be BRINGING IT for life. So what about you? Are you ready to take that final step and commit to getting your health and fitness back on track? Don't forget...I am a Team Beachbody Coach, too. So come along and join me. We can do this together and I can coach you for FREE! Just come visit me at http://www.fitmeXcellence.com

Make TODAY the day you take back control of your wellness plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments you might have. I alway welcome suggestions and value your opinions.